Children should not be afraid to go to school, and their parents shouldn't worry every time they put their kids on the school bus. We need to end this era of mass shootings.
In Congress, I will fight for:
- Banning bump stocks and eliminating hellfire switches from all federal firearms permits.
- Requiring free safety training and continuing education for all licensed firearm owners.
- Empowering judicial removal of firearms possession rights from convicted domestic violence offenders. (Due to a strong correlation between past domestic violence and mass shootings.)
- Enacting nationwide waiting periods for purchase of all firearms.
- Mandatory and universal background checks, including at gun shows.
- Full federal funding to modernize and optimize existing background check systems, and make them compatible across all 50 states.
- Banning high-capacity magazines.
- Requiring de-escalation training for all law enforcement professionals.
- Discouraging the release of the names of mass shooters, so their hate-based communities don’t glorify them and use their fame as inspiration.
- Increasing funding for mental health services as part of Medicare for All, since 60% of gun deaths are by suicide.